Home About Us Buildings Gardens Collections Research/Archives Plan a Visit Get Involved News/Events

Home > Buildings >School House>Bell

Hopmeadow District School Bell, 1850 - Hartford

 

There have been as many as twelve or thirteen school districts in Simsbury reflecting the population settlement and distribution within the town.  The first Hopmeadow District School was built about 1739 on the southwest corner of Hopmeadow and Wilcox Streets. 

This bell was cast by J(ohn) Doolittle of Hartford, CT, in 1810 for the second Hopmeadow School, constructed in 1799.  The school was located on the west side of Hopmeadow Street, south of the present Simsbury Cemetery gate.  It was moved north on Hopmeadow Street in 1853 and served Hopmeadow District pupils until it was closed in 1891.  The building was used as a private garage until it was torn down in 1976.

 

 

 

 

 
Simsbury Historical Society
800 Hopmeadow Street
Simsbury, CT 06070
860-658-2500
info@simsburyhistory.org