Meeting House, 1970 - Simsbury
Early New England meetinghouses were used for religious services and town meetings. The first meeting house in Simsbury was built in 1683 on Hopmeadow Street and was located near the present center gate of Simsbury Cemetery. It cost 33 pounds to build and was used until 1739. A monument erected in 1935 marks its site.
Our reproduction meeting house was built in 1970 to serve as the Simsbury Tercentenary Celebration headquarters. The design is based on a 17th century English-style reproduction built in 1935 to celebrate the State of Connecticut Tercentenary. Our reproduction includes several windows and the door of the 1935 structure.
Simsbury Historical Society
800 Hopmeadow Street
Simsbury, CT 06070