Museum Educator – (Part Time)
The Museum Educator promotes an appreciation of the history of Simsbury, its people, places and events and their importance to the region and our country by providing informative and engaging programs involving Simsbury’s history
- Develop and conduct engaging and educational programs for all ages with an emphasis on children’s programs
- Work with teachers, museum volunteers, and staff to schedule school and non-school programs
- Coordinate Colonial Days with all Simsbury public schools and private schools
- Develop an annual calendar of programs, writing confirmations, and assembling materials
- Develop educational materials for use with school groups, in the classroom, and for teacher workshops
- Act as site manager on Saturdays and other days as agreed upon
- Opens and closes the Ellsworth Visitor Center
- Assists the museum store volunteers with cash register or credit card issues
- Market programs to targeted audiences
- Conduct tours of the SHS Museum buildings and train volunteer docents
- Prepare the Tavern and other Museum buildings for programs and cleans up afterwards
- Develop and administer program evaluations
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President
- BA/BS Degree. Preferably a degree in Museum Education. Significant work experience can substitute for the degree.
- Love of history
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, proof reading skills, and speaking.
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone, with high professionalism
- Ability to work weekends and some evenings.
- Proficient using the latest versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and mail merges; email and web searches.
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated, yet function effectively within a team
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments from a variety of staff and volunteers
- Willing to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to give accurate, informative and engaging programs through research and/or by attending formal training sessions.
- Fantastic customer service ethic and high expectations for quality.
- Familiar with and able to adhere to SHS’s policies and procedures, including being able to respond to emergency situations.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience coordinating special events.
- Experience working with children
- Background check is required
- Ability to lift 25 lbs and move bulky objects
Location: Museums and Visitors Center of the Simsbury Historical Society, 800 Hopmeadow Street.
Reports to: Vice President of the Simsbury Historical Society
Time Commitment: 10-12 hours a week with additional time as needed and agreed upon
The Simsbury Historical Society is a non-profit organization that depends upon your support. Please consider making a donation to support our efforts in preserving Simsbury's rich history. If you're interested in becoming a member of the Simsbury Historical Society, please visit our Membership page.